Part Time Music and Audio Technology Teacher -Job Summary
The Pearl Remote Democratic High School is a personally relevant and student-centered educational experience. Students benefit from being part of a dynamic international learning community while supported by mentors, educators, and professionals. Our students are prepared for whatever life they choose.
As a teacher at The Pearl, you share control of the classroom with your students and co-create knowledge. Students have a say in class rules, what is studied, and how learning takes place. Your role is to help them feel welcome, competent, and to keep them excited about learning while developing critical thinking skills. Using your expertise in audio production, you will differentiate instruction to meet students where they are. Classes are multi-age and limited to 10 students and meet twice per week.
This is a contract position for a 10-week online course (3 hours/week). This part-time contract position gives you the flexibility to stay engaged in other activities or employment, while still sharing your knowledge and fostering a love of learning in high school-age teens. You will also receive extensive professional development in democratic education. Additionally, as a teacher at The Pearl, you will have a voice in school policies and procedures. Pay is competitive with adjunct positions.
- Honor the philosophy of democratic education at all times; if you need help doing reach out to the Director for guidance
- Support students in achieving their musical goals
- Teach basic audio production techniques
- Assist students with music technology so they can collaborate with their peers remotely
- Help students define obtainable goals
- Co-create the course with students based on their strengths, interests, and challenges.
- Collaborate with other teachers and staff to support students in developing interdisciplinary projects
- Differentiate instruction to ensure all students can understand the material covered.
- Foster students’ creativity, competence, autonomy, and sense of belonging in your courses
- Encourage students to take academic and intellectual risks.
- Be flexible and adaptable. Students’ interests will morph as they learn, courses need to change with them
- Maintain appropriate records monitoring growth, strengths, and needs – in an organized, efficient manner – for every student (Note: Narratives will be given instead of grades, training will be provided)
- Identify and implement innovative software to create an engaging online learning environment
- Participate in weekly team meetings and monthly professional development offered by The Pearl
- Be a champion for The Pearl and our mission to make democratic education accessible to students anywhere in the world
- Communicate with students via systems and processes put in place by the school
- Bachelor’s degree in the appropriate field (or equivalent experience)
- Creative problem-solving skills and a willingness to learn along with your students
- Demonstrated success creating a highly engaging experiential online learning experience
- Demonstrated success in working with diverse populations, including different learning styles
- Expert level of technology
- High-speed internet, Computer, and availability from 4:30 – 6 pm central on T & Th
- Ability to attend staff meetings & monthly professional development (time TBD)
- Ability to pass a background check
- Master’s degree in relevant field
- Fluency in the wide variety of instruments
- Experience in a democratic classroom
- Spanish language skills
Please send your resume and a cover letter describing your academic qualifications, professional experiences, how you will bring value to The Pearl students, and how this part-time position fits into your goals.
Application Deadline Nov 12, 2021
Position Contact Name: Robin Harwick, PhD
Contact Email: email@example.com
The Pearl is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, or protected veteran status